Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Poll for the Greenway meeting Thursday 6/24

I hope there will be some traffic for this post. I want to get some feedback on a couple questions I asked in the last post. Specifically, please leave a comment and answer the following:

1) Does your employer offer any incentive (formal or otherwise) to use alternate forms of transportation, whether it's bicycle, carpool, Public Transport system, etc.?

2) What sort of incentive would it take to get you to ride your bicycle to work or on errands?

3) If there were safe places to leave your bike while you shopped/ate/socialized in public areas, would you consider using your bike?

4) When gas reaches $5/gallon, will you look for alternative means to get from point A to B, C, D and beyond on a daily basis?

5) If you live in High Point, Greensboro, Winston-Salem, or surrounding townships, what can the Triad area planners do THIS YEAR that would make you favor the bicycle over your car for short errands?

I'll post my thoughts in the first comment just to get us started.

2 comments:

  1. 1) My employer currently offers no incentives for alternate methods of commuting. The site where I work does provide space for 5 bicycles at a single rack, about 40 yards from the entrance, and it's covered so the bikes won't get rained on. However, there are nearly 2,500 employees here.

    2) In addition to the savings in gas, the better fitness, and the stress-relief of riding, I would enjoy a free cold drink when I arrive at my destination. Really, how bad would it hurt a restaurant to comp me an ice cold water, or even a soda or tea if I went to the trouble to ride there? How about a grocery store, 50 cents for a can out of the machine wouldn't break them. Or a local bar could provide a special discount to those riding in on bikes, Happy biking hour! or "every Friday is Tour de Miller night, all cyclists get the first drink for free"

    3) Of course! If I spend money on a nice bike, and I go to the trouble to lock it up, I should feel at least as comfortable leaving it in a parking area for bikes as I do about leaving my car in the parking lot.

    4) gas is nearly $4 a gallon, I'm already looking for a way out.

    5) I suggest getting more bike lanes striped for pathways to places people want to go! A greenway is great for recreational riding, but if you want me to use it everyday, it needs to connect me to places I need to go, shopping areas, schools, business parks, the farmer's market. Obviously you can't stripe every road or build a greenway network that touches every business and subdivision; but you can make the big hits first, like the make a safe way from the largest subdivisions to the largest shopping areas. Look at the area near Florence Elementary...thousands of homes, and scores of businesses but no safe way to cross wendover to get to the Palladium area or to get across Eastchester to the Harris Teeter plaza.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. My employer is supportative, but with no incentive, except that I get to leave my bicycle inside near my desk during the day. That is sufficient.

    2. Safer routes and secure bikes would intice me to ride my bike more.

    3. Being able to secure my bicycle is a major factor to where I go.

    4. It did not take $5.00 gas for me to ride my bicycle; I have been doing this for years for the mental and physical benefits.

    5. Triad area planners need to foster a community ethic that bicycles belong. I suggest edgelines, share the road signs, and a dedicated public awareness campaign.

    ReplyDelete